EPC, Energy Performance Certificates, (Private Rented Property) Regulations 2015

Andrew WilliamsCommercial Energy Reports, Commercial EPC, Energy Performance Certificates, Legal, News


Both domestic and commercial buildings require Energy Performance Certificates when they are sold or let. The ratings on both types of certificate go from A (the highest) to G. (the lowest)

Domestic energy performance certificates for existing dwellings are assessed using RdSAP. (Reduced data Standard Assessment Procedure.). Domestic ratings run from 1 (G) the worst  to 100 (A) the best

Commercial energy performance certificates for existing commercial premises levels are assessed using SBEM. (Simplified Building Energy Model) Commercial rating starts at over 150 (G) – the worst to 0 (A) the best

Energy Efficiency (Private Rented Property) Regulations 2015

The new minimum energy efficiency standards  (MEES) comes into force on 1st April 2016.

These will affect both landlords of both domestic and commercial privately rented property.

What do the changes mean to landlords?

Landlords of both commercial and residential property will need to improve the energy efficiencies of their properties to raise them above the minimum “E” rating and there will be penalties for non-compliance.

Should the energy performance of the rented property fall below the minimum level of energy efficiency (i.e. below an “E”) a landlord may not:

  1. Grant a new tenancy or renew an existing tenancy after 1st April 2018
  2. Continue to let a domestic property after 1st April 2020
  3. Continue to let a non-domestic private rented property after 1st April 2020
  4. When EPCs were first introduced, they were considered by most people to be irrelevant pieces of paper. In the very near future, they will force a Landlord to make improvements or remove the property from the market place.

Chartered Surveyors / Energy Assessors

0151 426 9660