FIRSTLY – Photovoltaic technology – IS ROCKET SCIENCE –
PV was originally designed for use on satellites.
As most satellites remain active for decades, the system is tried and tested. The weather conditions on in Britain are nothing compared to the bombardment to satellites experience in deep space.
SECONDLY – WIDELY USED AND TESTED IN GERMANY –
Many houses in Germany now have PV on their roofs and put surplus energy back into the German electrical system.
Why do the Government want the general public to install PV?
The British Government wants to cut CO2 emissions from homes by 29% on 2008 levels by the year 2020.
The government also has a commitment to increase “green” electricity from its present level of 6% to 30% to meet European Union targets.
In order to meet this target, they need to take drastic action.
One way of helping to achieve these two objectives is by encouraging people to install photovoltaic (PV) arrays on roofs.
So what are they doing to encourage the public to cooperate?
IN ORDER TO MEET THESE TARGETS THE UK GOVERNMENT IS GIVING BIG INCENTIVES TO ORDINARY PEOPLE.
They are doing as follows:-
1) If someone puts PV on their roofs the payback time is approximately 7 years. From that point on There is a tax-free profit to be made for the next 18 years. This is therefore ideal for anyone wanting to use their capital to ensure an income stream / “pension fund” later in life. This is achieved because the local power companies are paying around £0.433 per kilowatt-hour generation tariff on under 4KW arrays.
2) This is not the end of the story:-
3) When home owner uses some of the power generated they are paid £0.12 because they haven’t used power station electricity which is very inefficient to produce.
4) If a home owner exports power – What is not used is automatically exported – They get paid £0.033 for each kW sent into the grid.
5) These payments increase in line with the Retail Price Index. So, a Quick Solar Summary. If you install PV you will benefit because:- You earn income, free of income tax You are installing a clean power source Solar Electricity is inflation proof Excess power can be re-sold to the National Grid The value of your property will increase Solar Panels last for years with very little maintenance required Lower carbon emissions