What is the Green Deal?

Andrew WilliamsNews

For most people ( those who are NOT on qualifying benefits) it’s a LOAN to pay for such things as:-

  1. Cavity Wall insulation
  2. Double Glazing
  3. Boiler improvements
  4. Solar panels (There is a full list later on.)

The Green Deal is available for both domestic and commercial properties and is paid for from the projected savings you’ll make on energy bills.


The loan is attached to the property (domestic or commercial) and is paid for via charges on the electricity meter.

If the domestic or commercial property is sold, the loan remains attached to the property and not the individual.

You needn’t be on a low income – anyone can apply.

The Green Deal is a new way of funding energy saving home improvements without having to borrow from a bank or building society; something that can be very difficult at the moment because most banks aren’t lending.

The Green Deal works by gives special ‘loans’ or grants to improve your property to cut energy bills. It helps you make energy-saving improvements to your property, and you pay for it using the savings from your energy bills.

The Golden Rule – The amount you can borrow under the Green Deal is capped by the Golden Rule. You cannot borrow more than you are likely to save over the lifetime of an improvement.

The Green Deal (Assessor) Adviser (GDA) There are domestic and commercial green deal advisers. Some advisers hold dual qualifications.

Domestic GDA Unless you (or a family member are on qualifying benefits) to get a Green Deal it is necessary to be assessed by a qualified domestic Green Deal Adviser. The adviser has to give impartial advice and declare if he is working for a specific provider. Green Deal advisers usually make a charge to cover their services.

The Green Deal Advice report belongs to the home owner and can be used to obtain alternative quotes for the improvements from approved Green Deal Installers. The Adviser normally inspect the property and even if it has an existing Energy Performance Certificate (EPC), it is usual to prepare a new one to make sure that it is as accurate as possible. In the case of a Domestic Green

Deal the Adviser will take (for example) the flowing into account:-

The occupancy of the home (Number of residents) and typical thermostat setting Typical number of rooms not heated Typical hours of heating used Appliances consuming energy. (E.g. fridge, cooker etc) Commercial Green Deal Adviser.

In the case of a Commercial Green Deal a similar process is adopted but the Assessor has to use a program called SMEM. The EPC is tailored to make due allowance for the way that the building is actually used.

Domestic Landlords and tenants Can I do the Green Deal if I rent, not own, my place? If you’re renting and want to improve, you need the landlord’s permission, as Green Deal repayments will affect future tenants.

Landlords need tenants’ permission to sign up too, as it’s the tenants who pay the bills, whether within their rent or directly.

NB From April 2016, landlords won’t be able to refuse reasonable improvement requests from tenants.

By April 2018, landlords with poor Energy Performance Certificates ratings (F or G) will be forced to make their properties more efficient, by either bringing them up to an E rating, or by carrying out the maximum package of measures that can be funded under the Green Deal – so it could be worth encouraging them now.


  • Air source heat pumps
  • Biomass boilers
  • Biomass room heaters
  • Cavity wall insulation
  • Cylinder thermostats
  • District heating
  • Draught proofing
  • Duct insulation
  • Hot water showers (efficient)
  • Hot water systems (efficient)
  • Hot water taps (efficient)
  • External wall insulation systems
  • Fan assisted replacement storage heaters
  • Flue gas heat recovery
  • Gas-fired condensing boilers
  • Ground source heat pumps
  • Heating controls (for wet central heating systems and warm air systems)
  • Heating ventilation and air conditioning controls (inc. zoning controls)
  • High performance external doors
  • Hot water controls (inc. timers and temperature control)
  • Hot water cylinder insulation
  • Internal wall insulation (of external walls) systems
  • Lighting systems, fittings and controls (inc. roof lights, lamps and luminaries) – non domestic only
  • Loft or rafter insulation
  • Mechanical ventilation with heat recovery
  • Micro CHP Micro wind generation
  • Oil-fired condensing boilers
  • Pipework insulation
  • Photovoltaics
  • Replacement glazing
  • Radiant heating
  • Roof insulation
  • Room in roof insulation
  • Sealing improvements (inc. duct sealing)
  • Secondary glazing
  • Solar water heating
  • Solar blinds, shutters and shading devices
  • Transpired solar collectors
  • Underfloor heating
  • Underfloor insulation
  • Variable speed drives for fans and pumps
  • Warm-air units
  • Waste water heat recovery devices attached to showers
  • Water source heat pumps