200,000 homes will face insurance difficulties

Andrew WilliamsNews, Surveying

The Association of British Insurers (ABI) has indicated that up to 200,000 homes at risk of flooding will face difficulties in obtaining buildings insurance next year. To highlight this, they have mapped neighbourhoods with the highest risk of flooding in England and Wales, ie. the areas where homeowners will struggle the most to obtain insurance. The greatest risks were found … Read More

When an Energy Performance Certificate is needed.

Andrew WilliamsUncategorized

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) are required when any building is sold, rented out or constructed, and sometimes after refurbishment work. EPCs give information on a building’s energy efficiency in a sliding scale from ‘A’ (very efficient) to ‘G’ (least efficient). A recommendations report setting out how the rating could be improved accompanies every EPC. Only accredited energy assessors can produce … Read More

Improvements to your Homes Energy Rating

Andrew WilliamsNews

Here is a list of some of the improvements that have a positive effect on the energy performance of your house. Boilers An EPC may recommend upgrading the boiler as many older gas fired boilers are deemed to be inefficient or less efficient than their modern counterparts. They are also more harmful due to their poor efficiency. If your gas … Read More


Andrew WilliamsSurveying

At Andrew R Williams & Associates, Chartered Surveyors, we always ensure that when drafting reports of properties with texture-coated ceilings or walls dating from before the mid-1980s or possibly later we include an asbestos warning. An inquest at Derby and South Derbyshire’s Coroner’s Court, heard how Edwin Shardlow was exposed to asbestos while creating textured ceilings during his work at … Read More

Certificate of Lawful Use or Development

Andrew WilliamsNews

A lawful development certificate (LDC) is a statutory document confirming that the use, operation or activity named in it a lawful for planning control purposes. Once granted, the certificate will remian valid for the use or development described in it, on the land it describes. You must apply to the local planning authority (LPA) for such a certificate. If the … Read More

What type of survey do I need?

Andrew WilliamsNews, Surveying

Many people do not wish to read long explanations. In which case telephone the Chartered Surveyor where you need a survey or advice and he or she will be happy to discuss and explain the options to you. For those that wish to read a general summary of the most common types of Survey and Advice, read on. This article … Read More